Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Photography Assignment #2

What I’ve come to realize so far is that although I was looking forward to assignments I actually don’t like them.  Even though the topics are pretty vague and open to interpretation I find it restricting and stressful when trying to get the perfect shot.

I went into this class knowing I may very well come out not having any better skills than I went in with, and I know it’s early but so far I am mostly just confused.  Here’s hoping it gets better for me!

Our assignment #2:  Lines

Yup, that’s it.  Lines.  The rest of the information was the same as last time…get to know your camera, use a tripod, use the self-timer, shoot in any mode you are comfortable with.

I still opted to use manual focus because that requires a ton of practice, but rather than using manual mode I chose to stick with my usual favourite of Av mode (aperture).  He spoke a lot about light last class but I honestly didn’t get any of it…as such I think my shots are a bit too bright or overexposed, but such is life.

My first thought when I read “lines” was quite literal…benches…so I went with it.

IMG_6936

Boring, but my subject is in focus.  Too centered though.  Although I do like the fence in the background (more lines) and my horizon is virtually straight.

IMG_6948

Still boring but even though it’s just a bench I think it’s more interesting as a close up.  The composition is better too as it isn’t super centered and the focus is pretty clear.

Not sure that I want to hand either of those in tonight though.

I moved to a different bench not 50 feet away and liked the scene better…

IMG_6957

…but I’m afraid shooting towards the sun created a bright yet washed out effect that my instructor won’t like.  I kind of dig the rainbow I wound up with but I’m sure that’s a no-no. But…the lines of the bench work, the top corner of the bench leads out of the frame in a good direction, the main subject isn’t smack in the center, and the bench is in focus.  So maybe this is right?

I’m actually seriously considering handing in the black and white version I took…

IMG_6951

…mainly because the people walking by make it more interesting overall.  But…the placement of the bench in the shot isn’t awesome.

What’s a girl to do?!

3 comments:

  1. Just go with your gut, you've always had a good eye, so just trust it.... xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really, really, really love the bottom B&W shot! Looks so neat with the couple in the background and the sunshine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any photographer will attest that you have to take criticism with a grain of salt. It's ALL subjective. Something struck YOU to frame your shot as such and take the picture and if YOU like the shot (and I think they are all great) then that's what's going to matter at the end of your class.

    ReplyDelete