Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Photography Assignment #3

For our fifth photography class…which was also our third assignment…our whole class took a Saturday morning field trip to Beacon Hill Park!  It actually posed an extra challenge for us since the whole park was still completely covered in snow!! 

White is really hard to shoot!

Charmaine and I wandered around a bit and tried to set up in a few places before we finally landed up at this bridge that we liked.  (I borrowed a proper tripod…which made life exponentially easier!!)

IMG_7322 (800x533)

My goal was to frame my shot with the bamboo on one side and that white-bark tree on the other.  I shifted my tripod spot and tilt a couple of times until I liked the positioning…mainly I wanted the tree flowing out the top corner of my shot.  The bright day made aperture and exposure quite easy so I really spent most of my time fiddling with the manual focus and zoom.

As we were thinking about leaving I wandered over to the other side of the path and found this tree that actually had some colour so I decided to grab a few more shots.  I’m glad I did! 

I ended up setting it up and just taking a set of shots with increasing aperture…then adjusting the focus onto the plants in the foreground and doing a set of shots with decreasing aperture.  I think it totally worked!

IMG_7341 (800x527)IMG_7348 (800x532)

I did do a tiny bit of a crop when I got home but aside from that I’m really happy with how these shots turned out.

And to think I thought I’d be struggling to get action shots of freezing ducks all day. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment